This year, the media center is getting into the fall spirit by having a pumpkin decorating contest. Palencia students, staff, and parents are invited to decorate a pumpkin like their favorite book character. It’s easy and fun for everyone! To enter, bring in a decorated pumpkin to the PES media center on October 23. All entries must be received by 3:15 on October 23. We cannot accept late entries.
- NO CARVED PUMPKINS! Carved pumpkins rot, attract bugs, and smell. Most importantly, we don’t want a child handling a knife or carving tools. Pumpkins may be painted, hot glued, colored and decorated. Gourds and other pumpkin-like squash may be used.
- Pumpkins should represent a favorite book character. On the entry form, you must write the title and author of the book and include a copy of the book to display with the pumpkin character.
- This project should mostly be done by students. K thru 2nd grade students may work with parents to complete a pumpkin as a “family.” 3rd-5th grade students should do most of the work themselves, with only some assistance by parents. Class/Club projects should include student initiative as well.
- Do not write your name anywhere on the pumpkin. Your entry form information will be used to make a display card for the pumpkin.
- Pumpkins will be judged according to the following categories:
- K thru 2nd Grade “Family” Pumpkins
- 3rd Grade thru 5th Grade Student Pumpkins
- Class/Club Pumpkins
- Judging will be conducted by students and teachers. One vote for each of the categories.
- Prizes: Three winners in each category will be announced at the Book Fair Family Night October 26. Each winner will receive a ribbon and a gift certificate to the fall book fair.
- After judging, pumpkins may be picked up on Friday, October 27. Pumpkins not picked up will be discarded.