- Use “Active Listening” skills
- Use quiet voices
- Walk in the media center
- Use place savers
- Push in chairs
- Put books and other materials away
- Always carry library books in a plastic bag, even in your backpack.
- Handle books with clean dry hands.
- Be careful turning pages.
- Use a bookmark! Never dog-ear pages.
- Keep books away from babies and pets.
- Keep books away from water, food, and drinks.
- Instruction in the use of a library media center
- Help with locating books and information
- Assistance with research strategies
- Instruction in using online databases and software
- Lessons on Digital Citizenship and navigating social media
Library Use Policies
The mission of the library media program is to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas, information and technology. Creating a foundation for lifelong learning is at the heart of our program, so that we are prepared to set sail into tomorrow’s world.
- There is a two-week checkout period. Items can be renewed as needed.
- The number of resources students can check-out is based on the following grade level system.
Kindergarten Students – 1 book
First Grade Students – 2 books
Second Grade Students – 2 books
Third Grade Students – 3 books
Fourth Grade Students – 3 books
Fifth Grade Students – 3 books
- Students may be given special permission to checkout additional books for research projects and extra check-outs are given as a reward in media.
- Classroom teachers distribute overdue notices and parents will be emailed overdue notices when necessary.
- Fines are not charged, but students are expected to pay for lost or damaged books. To pay online visit www.schoolpay.com.
- Magazines are available for check-out.
- Parents can request library cards and check out books with their children.
- Books/eBooks – 11,650
- Magazines – 20 student magazines
- Newspaper – The St. Augustine Record
- Professional Teaching Library
- Online Resources – we have subscriptions to:
~World Book Encyclopedia http://www.worldbookonline.com Username – palencia Password – pirates
student number Password – district password
Teachingbooks.net Password –
Destiny Library Catalog
Our library catalog is online and available from computers at school and home. Visit http://www-pes.stjohns.k12.fl.us/media and select Destiny Library Catalog from the top menu. At this page click on Palencia. Then search to find your favorite book or check to see if we have an Accelerated Reader test available for a book.
The media center is always looking for volunteers to help shelve books, run the circulation desk and assist with special projects.